[MEI-L] MEC Montreal Final Report

Tim Crawford T.Crawford at gold.ac.uk
Tue Oct 23 13:45:11 CEST 2018

How about this:

Among the students at the Digital Musicology Workshop at the Oxford Digital Humanities Summer School in July 2015 was Dr Jessica Schwartz, a lecturer from UCLA. Dr Schwartz pointed out to us that although the guitar tabs she uses in her teaching of a course on the history of Punk exist in profusion on the internet, they are in a great and unorganised variety of formats; there is thus a need for a standard encoding. This encoding issue led to our development, within the Transforming Musicology project (Goldsmiths, AHRC 2013-2017), of an MEI extension to include a larger range of tablature formats (the one initially provided within MEI was quite inadequate). A paper on ways in which this could be used was presented at MEC 2016 by Tim Crawford with Dr Schwartz.

Jessica expressed interest in working on a joint project on the use of guitar tabs in a pedagogical context. This led to a Follow-On Funding for Impact and Engagement grant ("Learn to Play: Computational Assessment of Playability for Users' Practice", AHRC 2017-18). The work is now continuing within the international TROMPA project (EU, 2018-2021), and will contribute to the uptake of MEI within that project and elsewhere. The potential of tablature support for MEI is in fact huge, both for research on historical repertories and, due to the existence of vast quantities of tablature available for download, for commercial exploitation. Alongside this, development of Verovio to enable tablature display is also a desideratum.

See you on Tuesday!

Tim