[MEI-L] where to encode information about URL relationships

Karen Desmond kdesmond at brandeis.edu
Thu Jan 18 02:51:41 CET 2018

Hi,

I'd like some advice about the best place to store website links that
contain further information about the compositions encoded in my MEI files.
Specifically, I want to include with the MEI file the following:

- A link to the composition on the DIAMM website
- A link to the url of IIIF manifest pointing to the manuscript source that
the MEI file's transcription is based on
- A link to the manuscript source on the DIAMM website
- A link to any other available online source for the manuscript images (if
the manuscript is not yet available through IIIF or DIAMM)

At first I thought about putting this information in <sourceDesc> and using
an <itemList> of <repository> and the <ptr> for the web addresses but I'm
not sure that meiHead is the best place for this set of links?

In addition, I also want to record the folio numbers of the manuscript,
which again I thought probably ought to go in sourceDesc (pasted below is
an example of sourceDesc from one of our files), but I couldn't see where
this information would go.

<sourceDesc>
                                    <source>
                                                <notesStmt>
                                                            <annot>Scanned
from Polyphonic Music of the Fourteenth Century, vol. 1 (PMFC)</annot>
                                                </notesStmt>
                                    </source>
                                    <source>
                                                <titleStmt>
                                                            <title>[Primary
manuscript source for this encoding]

<identifier>Bibliothèque nationale de France, fr. 146</identifier>
                                                            </title>
                                                            <pubStmt>

<unpub/>
                                                            </pubStmt>
                                                            <notesStmt>

<annot>Scan checked and corrected against this manuscript

</annot>
                                                            </notesStmt>
                                                </titleStmt>
                                    </source>
                                    <source>
                                                <titleStmt>
                                                            <title>[Other
concordant sources]</title>
                                                            <pubStmt>

<unpub/>
                                                            </pubStmt>
                                                            <notesStmt>

<annot>Br, Koblenz, Robertsbridge</annot>
                                                            </notesStmt>
                                                </titleStmt>
                                    </source>
                        </sourceDesc>

Many thanks and all the best,

Karen

Karen Desmond
Assistant Professor of Music & Chair, Graduate Program in Musicology, Brandeis
University
Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Music, Harvard University
(Spring 2018)