[MEI-L] Coordinate system confusion [and terminology]

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Sat Jul 8 20:48:11 CEST 2017

Before my original suggestion is completely forgotten, I'd like to back up a little. Perry, you said

> I have trouble, as I think most folks would, with values like "2-1/2 half-spaces". I can live with "2-1/2 steps", but still prefer "2-1/2 vu".  We can/should define a "vu" in relation to diatonic steps though.

Gould and Read  rarely if ever saying anything like "2-1/2 half-spaces"; the example I gave, and what they actually say, is "2-1/2 SPACES".  And the fact the "spaces" terminology is used consistently by both in works intended for practical use seems like pretty good evidence that that terminology doesn't bother people much.

Let's see, here's a random note in a random piece of music; I wonder how long its stem is? Ah, it extends all the way across three spaces and halfway across another! :-). It's a standard one-octave stem, with a length of 3 and 1/2 spaces.

--Don