[MEI-L] multiRest in scores

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Tue Mar 21 22:51:43 CET 2017

Sec. 4.1.4.2.2 of the MEI 3.0.0 so-called "Guidelines" claims that the multiple-measure rest is never found in scores. Maybe this means the MEI <multiRest> element should never be _used_ in scores, I'm not sure. And maybe this document considers the music for a work for a solo instrument to be a part, not a score? But here are a few places multibar rests occur in what I'd call scores:

	Beethoven: Piano Sonata no. 31, Op. 110, II (in music for a solo instrument)
	Kodaly: Hary Janos Suite (Universal ed.), I, m. 75 (in the score of an ensemble piece)
	Ravel: Gaspard de la Nuit (Durand ed.), Scarbo, mm. 30-31 (in music for a solo instrument)

So the Beethoven and Ravel examples don't count if you consider those to be parts rather than scores. But there's no doubt the Kodaly score is a score!

--Don

---
Donald Byrd
Woodrow Wilson Indiana Teaching Fellow
Adjunct Associate Professor of Informatics
Visiting Scientist, Research Technologies
Indiana University Bloomington