[MEI-L] Annotations visible on the music and arbitrary segmentation

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Mar 8 16:50:07 CET 2017

Comments inline below --

[PR: ] Indeed, the markup becomes "fuzzy" because there's too much "overloading of the semantics" of <l> going on here.  Better to use different elements for different functions -- <l> for lines of poetry, a new element for mensural notation text strings.  In this new element, one may encode explicit line breaks --

<newElement startid="#n1">Sub cuius patula coma<lb/>& phebi lira blandius</newElement>

to position the 2nd line or break the text across multiple newElements --

<newElement startid="#n1">Sub cuius patula coma</newElement>
<newElement startid="#n1">& phebi lira blandius</newElement>

The usual behavior of Verovio is such that two staff-attached elements like this occurring at the same time (i.e., associated with the same event) will be displayed vertically, one atop the other.  The choice between using a single element or multiple elements is likely to be influenced by how much (visual?) control one needs to have over each chunk of text.

> - 2: control events -
> Also, control events, e.g. <dir>, are meant to be put directly into <staff> and
> not anymore within <layer> in mensural notation?
> But, where should <lyrics> be put in, still within <layer>? I'm just asking
> because in cmn it is also one of those elements to be put directly into
> <measure>.

> - 3: non-sung text -
> I also want to come back on the topic of non-sung text. Unlike Don I'm not
> thinking about visible annotations by the encoder, instead I'm thinking about
> text directives within the source itself. My second example is in my opinion a
> problematic one because I'm not sure how to solve I right now.
> Because it is meant as the directive, that the Tenor voice should keep silent, I
> would encode it as "<dir>Tenor Laurus tacet.</dir>".
> My problem is, that <dir> needs to have a pointing attribute to be valid. In cmn
> I would use @tstamp="0" to point at the left barline, but within mensural
> music only @startid and @endid are valid pointing attributes. But on what
> should I point in that case? While I try to explain the problem, my only idea
> would be like that:
> <staff>
> 	<layer>
> 		<space xml:id="space-0" />
> 		[...]
> 	</layer>
> 	<dir startid="#space-0" endid="#space-0">Tenor Laurus tacet.</dir>
> </staff> Is that solution appropriate? I would welcome any comments and
> suggestions.

[PR: ] <space> represents *time-filling space*, similar to push codes in DARMS.  Its typical use is to fill the time preceding material that doesn't begin at the start of a measure, for instance, in pianistic writing where a "voice" suddenly materializes out of thin air in the middle of a measure.  Here, <pad> is more appropriate.  It encodes *visual space*.  It has no duration, its extent expressed only in virtual units (where half the distance between staff lines equals one vu).  So, I'd amend your encoding to be --

<staff>
  <layer>
    <pad xml:id="pad0" n="10"/>
  <layer>
  <dir startid="#pad0">Tenor Laurus tacet.</dir>
</staff>

As far as I know, however, Verovio doesn't yet do anything with <pad> elements.

> Again, I have to apologize for answering that late and arguing about things
> which seemed to be solved already. It seems to me, that discussion was spread
> on a lot of places, MEI mensural list, github and Verovio, and about a lot of
> related issues, what makes me feeling in need of a clear summarization.
> Another short question: When are the changes already made in the
> development version planned to be released in a stable version?

[PR: ] This discussion has indeed spread over many forums.  At this point, the best place to follow discussion of a technical nature is in the Github repositories for MEI and Verovio.  The release date for v. 4.0 is not yet determined.  My original plan was to make it around the time of the conference in Tours, but now I think it's best to delay it until the end of the year.  This will give us time to
  - consider broader changes, esp. those necessary for mensural and neume notation,
  - tackle small but important issues related to CMN display,
  - plan and begin to implement MEI Go!, and
  -handle other administrative stuff (conferences, workshops, web site updates, etc.).