[MEI-L] Combining alternate lyrics with digital scores in the field [was: Re: Annotations visible on the music and arbitrary segmentation]

Jim DeLaHunt from.mei-l at jdlh.com
Mon Mar 6 18:28:52 CET 2017

I'm not competent to debate the details of representing lyrics in MEI,
but I would like to highlight this use case Andrew mentions:

On 2017-03-06 07:09, Andrew Hankinson wrote:
 > The specific case I was imagining was where a tune and lyrics were
given separately...

I have a similar use case, and I would love for MEI to be able to handle
it. It goes like this:

  * Verdi writes an opera, with a libretto in Italian, and specifies
    which words go with which notes.
  * An engraver from Ricordi expresses Verdi's notes and words and
    alignment as printed notation.
  * Over a century later, one person ("Alice") transcribes the printed
    notation, including words aligned with notes, into MEI form. She
    posts this digital score on a web page, with a free-use licence.
  * Another person ("Bob") translates the libretto of Verdi's opera into
    singable Thai, and specifies which words go with which notes. Bob
    posts this information in some MEI-related format on a web page,
    with a free-use licence.
  * A third person ("Carol", a singer), will be performing the Verdi
    opera in Thai. She downloads both Alice's digital score and Bob's
    Thai translation. She wants to make a digital score which includes
    Bob's Thai words aligned with the notes in Alice's score, and drops
    the Italian libretto.
  * A fourth person ("David") doesn't like Alice's transcription, so
    makes an MEI transcription of the same Verdi opera from a different
    printed edition. It has different staff and page breaks than does
    Alice's score. David also downloads Bob's Thai translation. David
    also wants to make a digital score which includes Bob's Thai words
    aligned with the notes in David's score.

One of my aspirations for MEI is that it have all the technical features
needed to make this use case practical. I would like to see a way for a
translator to make an alternate set of lyrics which is packaged separate
from the score, and can be combined with a score. This packaging is to
succeed regardless of the page layout the score happens to embody. In
fact, it should be possible to revise the layout of the score, and have
the alternate lyrics follow along. It's fine if something like a
notation editor is required to combine alternate lyrics and digital
score, but the operation should be automatic. It should not require
hand-editing by the end user.

Do I understand from this conversation that this is not yet possible in
MEI?  That is, we have not yet worked out how a separate package of
lyrics should relate to notes in a layout-independent way?

Thank you,
        --Jim DeLaHunt, Keyboard Philharmonic project,
http://KeyboardPhilharmonic.org

On 2017-03-06 07:09, Andrew Hankinson wrote:
> I was thinking more semantic alignment, but maybe that’s what you were thinking of by ‘temporal’ alignment.
>
> I was trying to answer Daniel’s use case where “these lyrics belong to these notes with no specific information on which lyric belongs to which note” would “correspond” but not necessarily “synchronise”. That is, there is no specific time information (‘chronos’ in ’synchronise') but there *is* a relationship between them.
>
> The specific case I was imagining was where a tune and lyrics were given separately, with multiple possible realisations of the alignment. Rather than making the statement that a given lyric is in sync with a tune, it would be best to just say that these lyrics ‘belong’ to this group of notes / measure / whatever.
>
> -Andrew
>
>> On 6 Mar 2017, at 14:59, Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) <pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:

>> --
>> p.

     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       157-2906 West Broadway, Vancouver BC V6K 2G8, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953