[MEI-L] encoding orchestra cast with alternative instruments

Axel Teich Geertinger atge at kb.dk
Wed Jan 25 22:34:41 CET 2017

Oops: You'll notice that I forgot to change the @codedval values when copy-pasting...
Cor anglais should have @codedval="wf" :-)

/axel

Fra: mei-l [mei-l-bounces at lists.uni-paderborn.de] på vegne af Axel Teich Geertinger [atge at kb.dk]
Sendt: 25. januar 2017 22:27
Til: Music Encoding Initiative
Emne: Re: [MEI-L] encoding orchestra cast with alternative instruments

Hi Benni

Good question. I would love to see a solution as well. So far we have really just worked around the problem by only mentioning alternative or alternating instruments in plain text like this (using your example):

        <perfRes codedval="wb" count=“2" solo="false">Oboe / oboe d'amore</perfRes>

This is obviously not well suited for any computerized use of the information (which, however, we haven't needed yet).

The current schema does not allow nesting <perfRes>, so your suggested approach doesn't validate out of the box. While allowing child elements in <perfRes> may be the way to go, I would perhaps not suggest nesting <perfRes> itself: As you say, simply nesting them doesn't make it clear whether the instruments are possible replacements or one player playing alternating instruments. More specific elements or attributes may be required.

The problem may be that <perfRes>is intended to describe a single instrument (or ensemble), not all the instruments played by a single performer. What may be needed is a "performer" grouping device. As <perfResList> is exactly that: a <perfRes> grouping device, perhaps simply adding an attribute such as @type to <perfResList> and <perfRes> may do the trick:

<perfMedium>
    <perfResList>
        <perfResList type="performer">
            <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false">Oboe</perfRes>
            <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false" type="replacement">Oboe d'amore</perfRes>
        </perfResList>
        <perfResList type="performer">
            <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false">Oboe</perfRes>
            <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false" type="replacement">Oboe d'amore</perfRes>
        </perfResList>
        <perfResList type="performer">
            <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false">Oboe</perfRes>
            <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false" type="replacement">Cor anglais</perfRes>
        </perfResList>
    </perfResList>
</perfMedium>

However, this would probably require omitting the @count attribute: What would, say, count="2" mean with a single performer? Perhaps that one has to play 2 oboes simultaneously. :-/

If you want to group both by performer and instrument family ("Oboe") you might need another <perfResList> to wrap the three performers:

<perfMedium>
    <perfResList>
        <perfResList codedval="wb">
            <head>Oboes</head>
            <perfResList type="performer">
                <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false">Oboe</perfRes>
                <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false" type="replacement">Oboe d'amore</perfRes>
            </perfResList>
            <perfResList type="performer">
                <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false">Oboe</perfRes>
                <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false" type="replacement">Oboe d'amore</perfRes>
            </perfResList>
            <perfResList type="performer">
                <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false">Oboe</perfRes>
                <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false" type="replacement">Cor anglais</perfRes>
            </perfResList>
        </perfResList>
    </perfResList>
</perfMedium>

I am not sure this is the way to go. Any thoughts?

Best,
Axel