[MEI-L] octaves and back

Raffaele Viglianti raffaeleviglianti at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 16:13:13 CEST 2016

Hi Johannes,

I think that by specifying the end point of <octave>, you would essentially
indicate the "reset" point, which would make "loco" vestigial, so encoding
it with just <dir> seems fine to me.

Having said that, I would consider a version of <octave> that is more like
a milestone like you suggest, but in that case we'd probably need a
schematron rule that makes sure that no end points are specified.

For example this would be odd:

<octave staff="1" tstamp="1" dis="8" dis.place="above" tstamp2="3m+1">8
va</octave>
and three measures later
<octave staff="1" tstamp="1" dis="0" >loco</octave>

The tstamp2 in the first octave must not be there to tessellate properly.
This It would also be harder to process, I guess.

Finally, if using "loco" as a marker for ending octave displacements is
common (I admit I haven't come across it, but that means nothing), then we
could consider a value for @lendsym to be "loco" - though I understand
there is no line, so maybe not. But something like that.

Raff