[MEI-L] MEI version 3.0.0...; Guidelines or reference manual?

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Tue Jun 21 02:07:24 CEST 2016

Congratulations to all involved! This is another milestone for MEI.

This seems like as good a time as any to bring up something that's been bothering me for a long time. The MEI 3.0.0 Guidelines document is ca. 1,669 pages. After leafing through it for a little while, I estimate that approximately one percent of it could reasonably be described as guidelines; the rest is clearly a reference manual. Almost 1400 pages constitute the Data Dictionary, and even the other 300 pages appear to be overwhelmingly reference. So why is it called "Guidelines"? A couple of years back, I spent some time looking around for an MEI reference manual before I realized that the "Guidelines" are it!

Perry once explained to me how this misleading name came to be; I forget what he said, but I can't imagine there's a good reason not to call it something like "Reference Manual and Guidelines".

--Don