[MEI-L] What is a cautionary accidental?

Erik Ronström erik.ronstrom at doremir.com
Mon Apr 4 14:54:24 CEST 2016

Quoting ”Behind Bars” :

”An accidental that is repeated later in a bar, even though it is not strictly necessary, is called a ’cautionary’ (or ’reminder’ or ’courtesy’) accidental. Cautionary accidentals confirm the pitch of a note that might otherwise be questioned […] Atonal and highly chromatic idioms should include cautionary accidentals to assist accurate reading.”

Erik