[MEI-L] What is a cautionary accidental?

Anna Plaksin annplaksin at gmx.net
Mon Apr 4 14:40:54 CEST 2016

Dear list,

while I was looking for a way to deal with musica ficta signs, I came across
the @func attribute. Whereas the definition of an editorial accidental is
clear to me, I'm wondering how a cautionary accidental can be understood. I
didn't find any further explanations for this particular attribute.

Or I try it the other way round: Does someone know a way to encode musica
ficta accidentals? How could they be distinguished from other explicit
accidentals without declaring them as editorial - because they are written
in the source.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom with me. :-)

Best wishes,

Anna