[MEI-L] <div> in header

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Mon Oct 26 17:12:07 CET 2015

> On Oct 26, 2015, at 4:48 AM, Axel Teich Geertinger <atge at kb.dk> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrew
>
> I can do a workaround by wrapping the contents in a <div> before passing it to the text editor and stripping it off again with XSLT on saving. Nevertheless, I am not sure I agree that header contents is never intended to be rendered. After all, the header may contain such information as transcriptions of a source's title page.

I think the distinction I was trying to say is that the information in the header is never rendered *directly* -- that is, it's never intended to be related (in a positional sense) to the content in the document. Of course, the information in the header can and should be intended to be shown to the users, but I think the positioning and display of header text should be left to the software rendering it.

> We are rendering loads of header information in our catalogues. I agree that exact placement of text blocks doesn't seem to be a likely thing to do in the header, not even within the title page transcriptions (I have no idea what kind of coordinates would make any sense unless we implement a detailed page layout specification; but that's definitely not a road I want MEI to go down). MEI does, however, already allow quite some text formatting within <p> such as font style, size, and color, so header content may already contain some rendering information.

I would even go so far as to say that anything that has to do with font, sizes, etc. should be held in the "<music>" section. Holding rendering information in the header seems like a recipe for confusion.

> But more important, I do not see why <div> should be used for positioning and other rendering purposes only. On the contrary – the MEI guidelines say:
> This is exactly the structuring mechanism I would like to see in the header as well: structure on a larger scale than <p>.

Yes, this is problematic. Personally, I would like to see <div> take on more of the HTML-like definition of a block-level element, to cause less confusion to encoders who are used to the HTML-like behaviour: "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Andrew