[MEI-L] Instrument settings and tunings

Axel Teich Geertinger atge at kb.dk
Wed Oct 21 10:01:53 CEST 2015

Dear list

I have a couple of questions related to the recent discussion about the model for describing instrumentations in <perfMedium>. Sometimes I need to add more detailed information to an instrument's name, such as transposition or tuning. I simply write this information into <instrVoice>, like

<instrVoice>Clarinet (A)</instrVoice>
<instrVoice>Timpani (C, G)</instrVoice>

Of course I can add more complex information too: the settings for a prepared piano or electronic instruments; scordatura; or even organ registrations (if they remain the same throughout the piece).
My first question is: Is it acceptable to have a rather detailed text within <instrVoice> (or <perfRes>, if we decide to rename it), or should we have some other place for a detailed description of settings/tunings/transpositions?

My other question is: how would this kind of information be encoded in the score? I know about the transposition attributes on <staffDef>, of course; the timpani case is trivial too. But I wouldn't know how to encode things like organ registrations, scordatura, electronic instruments settings within <music>. Plain text? Or are there some special element for instrument settings?
I could also put it this way: Are these settings simply to be regarded as playing techniques like pizzicato or col legno (which I don't know how to encode either, however...)?

Best,
Axel

[http://support.kb.dk/images/kb_logo.jpg]

Det Kongelige Bibliotek
Nationalbibliotek og Københavns Universitetsbibliotek

Axel Teich Geertinger
Centerleder | Head of Centre

Det Kongelige Bibliotek | The Royal Library
Dansk Center for Musikudgivelse | Danish Centre for Music Publication
P.O. Box 2149 | DK-1016 København K
tel +45 9132 4706 | Fax +45 3393 2218 | atge at kb.dk<mailto:atge at kb.dk> | www.kb.dk<http://www.kb.dk>

Besøgsadresse | Visiting address | Søren Kierkegaards Plads 1
Leveringsadresse | Delivery address | Christians Brygge 8 | 1219 København K

EAN 5798 000 79 52 97 | Bank 0216 4069032583 | CVR 28 98 88 42
IBAN DK2002164069032583 | Swiftcode DABADKKK