[MEI-L] Beat in 6/8

Laurent Pugin lxpugin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 17:19:17 CEST 2015

I saw the examples in Behind Bars. It indeed works if we assume that a
<beatRpt> is actually a "<beamRpt>". I have the feeling, however, that this
would to be too restrictive. One idea that came to my mind is to have an
attribute in beatRpt for specifying how many beats the repeat covers, if
not 1. in 6/8, this attribute would need to be 3 for repeats of 4. . That
way we stay compliant with what is assumed with timestamps. It also has the
advantage of enabling repeats that could be less than a beat. For example
repeats of a beam of four 16th in 2/2 (if this can ever happen). Of course,
this would be a solution specifically for beatRpt and does not solve the
issue at a more general level.

Laurent