[MEI-L] Github considerations

Urs Liska ul at openlilylib.org
Fri Jul 4 17:01:52 CEST 2014

Am 04.07.2014 16:37, schrieb Craig Sapp:
> I would agree with Peter's points about git and decentralization.  This
> feature of git makes any instability in a web host nearly moot.  The only
> caveat is that issue tracking is done outside of the git repository, so you
> could lose interesting secondary material if a particular service were to
> shut down.

And - no less relevant - code comments, an awesome code review tool of
Github (and co.). These aren't part of the repository either.

In general it _should_ be possible to access this data too, through
Github's API. For example the current version of SmartGit retrieves this
information to display it locally within the project history. So it
_should_ be possible to write a (or get a ready-made) tool to regularly
pull in the interesting metadata and store it at a central place.

One other nice thing about Github is the handling of "forks". Anybody
can create a personal copy of the repository on Github to which she has
push access. This way _anybody_ can work with the repository and submit
changes for review without requiring push access to the proper
repository. That's a convenient way to increase potential contribution.

Best
Urs