[MEI-L] Github considerations

Craig Sapp craigsapp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 16:37:33 CEST 2014

I would agree with Peter's points about git and decentralization.  This
feature of git makes any instability in a web host nearly moot.  The only
caveat is that issue tracking is done outside of the git repository, so you
could lose interesting secondary material if a particular service were to
shut down.

For example, I have a mirror of one of my code repositories in two
different github accounts:
     https://github.com/craigsapp/humextra
and
     https://github.com/humdrum-tools/humextra

These are identical repositories (not an original and a fork).  To update I
run these commands:

git push origin craigsapp
git push origin humdrum-tools

with these two origins set up in the git config file.  I disable issue
tracking in the second repository so that they remain all in one place.

This system should work well for Mei repositories.  The google code
repository would be converted to git (assuming that the issue tracker would
not be lost).  Then a duplicate copy of the repository would be placed on
GitHub (or bitbucket, etc.) with the only difference being that the issue
tracker would be disabled and a pointer given to google code if someone
wants to report bugs or ask for new features.

-=+Craig