[MEI-L] Introduction and engraving/typesetting considerations

Urs Liska ul at openlilylib.org
Thu Jul 3 12:01:20 CEST 2014

Dear MEI users,

with this post I would like to introduce myself and to open discussion
about some thoughts I have written down recently.

I am a pianist, musicologist and, let's say: amateur, programmer,
strongly interested and involved in musical editing.

As a pianist my most worthwile and characteristic achievement is the
(first) complete recording of Arnold Schoenberg's songs
(http://www.schoenberg-lieder.de and
https://www.youtube.com/user/schoenberglieder).
As a musicologist I'm hoping that my soon-to-be-finished dissertation on
multiple versions of Schubert songs will add some interesting aspects to
Schubert research and editing perspectives (in that I'm recently
exploring the inherent fragmentary character of not-so-few manuscripts).
Not a "project" but a finished task is a (printed) edition of the songs
of Oskar Fried (http://lilypondblog.org/category/fried-songs/). This is
not noteworthy because of the "BEST EDITION 2014" it was awarded but
because it was the trigger, framework and testbed for the development of
characteristic edition techniques (which starts leading to the actual
point of this message). Starting with this project I explore and promote
editorial workflows based on plain text, using (mainly) LilyPond, LaTeX
and Git (or any other version control system). Over this I have become a
central member of the LilyPond community and I think it is interesting
to know that nowadays there is someone who can interface
LilyPond(/LaTeX) from a user perspective and LilyPond(/LaTeX) from a
developer perspective with a serious musicological perspective. To learn
more about that part of my work you may browse our semi-official
LilyPond blog http://lilypondblog.org.

So far I haven't had any concrete experience with MEI, but my
participation at the conference on "Digital music edition" which took
place in Berne last month was the - long-overdue - opportunity to
actively move into the direction of digital edition concepts. As a
follow-up of that conference I wrote a paper that you can download at
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49478835/engraving-in-digital-edition.pdf
(this is a non-permanent link and may be removed at any time).
On the one hand it summarizes the two talks I gave, and on the other
hand it integrates my existing knowledge with the new perspectives on
concretely _digital_ edition concepts I got in Berne. I present it here
in order to get some feedback, start discussion, and potentially open up
some perspectives.

As far as I can see (this is actually a preview abstract of the paper)
there still is some lacking awareness for the _quality_ of typesetting
and engraving in existing efforts towards digital edition. This is
completely understandable as there are so many complex issues to deal
with that it's natural to first concentrate on the aspect of _encoding_
and to treat the visualization as a mere necessity. However, I am
convinced that _professional_ engraving and typesetting should be an
integral part of digital edition concepts too. For example I see that
the Reger edition (not MEI, but Edirom based) does contain professional
engravings of the authoritative text - but these have been created with
an arbitrary notation program and are only available as PDF files in the
edition. This is of course against the idea of an "encoding-driven"
edition concept. On the other hand I am quite sure that developing
custom "rendering engines" can't reasonably be expected to lead to
professional results in the foreseeable future. However, plain text
based tools like LaTeX and LilyPond are conceptually the perfect match
for the challenge of automatic typesetting/engraving from encoded content.

Therefore I'd argue that it would be better to invest time, energy and
money in _integrating_ existing professional tools in MEI/Edirom based
toolchains than in reinventing the wheel by creating "rendering engines"
from scratch. (Just to say one thing in advance: LilyPond can also be
made fruitful for interactive applications, as it can natively produce
scores as SVG files).

I'd be happy about any feedback on my paper. Particularly I'm aware that
the "analysis" of the current state of digital edition (sections 3.1 and
3.2) is the weakest part of the argumentation, simply due to my lack of
first-hand knowledge. I hope this doesn't affect my conclusions but I'd
be glad to improve the text in this regard.

Best wishes
Urs Liska