[MEI-L] MEI for long-term preservation

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Thu Mar 6 21:29:55 CET 2014

Hi again,

Look below for the latest message in the MusicXML list thread I mentioned earlier.

I think Andrew does an excellent job here of pointing out specific benefits of MEI so I won't attempt to embellish his remarks.

Interesting questions raised by the messages Andrew is responding to include

- What is the definition/nature/usefulness of a "comprehensive" representation?

- Can an XML representation function as the "native format" for a notation editor?

- Is it possible to create a conceptual model of notation that editors can share even if they implement it differently?

- Can different notational "styles" (Neume, Mensural, and CWMN) be accommodated by the same model?

- If not, why not?

- What role does "validity" play in a notation format?

- Can there be different notions of "validity" at the same time or at different points in the lifecycle of a notated musical object?

- How can a model be "interchange-able" and extensible at the same time?

And probably at least a thousand more.  :-)

I'm aware that attempts to answer questions like these can seem like discussing how many angels fit on the head of a pin (or "pin-headed angels" as we refer to them at UVA).  But these are precisely the questions that most need answering and MEI (again, the format and the organization) can address.  MEI's rise has not been as meteoric as that of MusicXML, nor is it as widely known, but I think MEI is in a position to confront and resolve these thorny issues at least as well as other approaches and probably better due to its design and the people working on it.

Best wishes,