[MEI-L] ...brackets in orchestral scores: Finale shapes, etc.

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Sun Dec 15 16:30:49 CET 2013

Looking through a couple of dozens scores again -- none recent Schott
editions -- the only instances I found of thin square brackets were in
Symphony of Psalms (Boosey & Hawkes) and Prelude à l'Apres-midi d'un
Faune (in Norton Scores, unidentified edition but I suspect Durand).

--DAB

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 00:38:29 +0100, Joachim Veit
<veit at weber-gesamtausgabe.de> wrote:

> Only a short "a parte":
> The form of the "thin square brackets" (Finale's option 6) is very
> often to be found (not only in Berlioz' example) in new Schott-Scores
> (e.g. in the new Schumann Complete edition). In the Weber edition we
> use them only in a very few special cases (I don't like them
> really...)
> Thanks for the interesting discussion! and best greetings,
> Joachim
>

> Am 13.12.13 04:12, schrieb Byrd, Donald A.:
>> Thanks, Perry. I was thinking of #3 and #5 as being basically square
>> brackets, but they're really not that square :-) . I don't think
>> I've seen any other shapes "in the wild" either.
>>
>> --DAB
>>

>> On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:10:27 +0000, "Roland, Perry (pdr4h)"
>> <pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Don,
>>>
>>> Finale provides 6 options in its "Group Attributes" dialog box. See
>>> http://www.finalemusic.com/usermanuals/finale2012win/content/finale/GROUPDLG.htm. I think "bracket" accurately describes options 3, 5, & 6 (from the left), "brace" being used for option 4.  I can't say that I've seen any other symbols
>>> "in
>>> the
>>> wild".
>>>
>>> (NB -- My mention of Finale doesn't constitute any kind of
>>> endorsement.  It's just that its documentation is easily accessible.)
>>>
>>> MEI currently offers only "none", "brace", "bracket", and "line" as
>>> possibilities, where "line" is reserved for the thin line connecting
>>> the score/system staves.  These are sufficient to capture the broad
>>> categories of symbols, but they (especially "bracket") don't provide
>>> much in the way of visual detail.  The question is, how/where should
>>> that detail be located?
>>>
>>> My solution is to add "rule" and "bracketsq", representing Finale
>>> options 2 and 6, respectively.  This expands the level of visual
>>> detail encapsulated in the @symbol attribute, but still doesn't
>>> differentiate between options 3 and 5 or capture "typographical"
>>> features (so-called 'hook' shape, color, line width, etc.). However,
>>> it does provide the same level of granularity as MusicXML, enhancing
>>> loss-less conversion to/from MEI.
>>>
>>> Of course, multiple typographical details can't be captured in a
>>> single attribute value.  And it's bad practice to add more attributes
>>> to <staffGrp> to comment on the value in @symbol.  So, recording
>>> those details necessitates a <grpSym> child of <staffGrp> with its
>>> own attributes.  Those attributes can then be used to describe the
>>> symbol in greater detail or point to a precise rendition stored
>>> elsewhere.  This mechanism can be used for any symbol used to group
>>> staves, if someone does find an example outside the usual ones you
>>> mention, for instance in a manuscript score.
>>>
>>> Not exactly what you asked for, but helpful nonetheless I hope,
>>>
>>> --
>>> p.

>>> Perry Roland
>>> Music Library