[MEI-L] ...brackets in orchestral scores: Finale shapes, etc.

Joachim Veit veit at weber-gesamtausgabe.de
Sun Dec 15 00:38:29 CET 2013

Only a short "a parte":
The form of the "thin square brackets" (Finale's option 6) is very often
to be found (not only in Berlioz' example) in new Schott-Scores (e.g. in
the new Schumann Complete edition). In the Weber edition we use them
only in a very few special cases (I don't like them really...)
Thanks for the interesting discussion! and best greetings,
Joachim

Am 13.12.13 04:12, schrieb Byrd, Donald A.:
> Thanks, Perry. I was thinking of #3 and #5 as being basically square
> brackets, but they're really not that square :-) . I don't think I've
> seen any other shapes "in the wild" either.
>
> --DAB
>

> On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:10:27 +0000, "Roland, Perry (pdr4h)"
> <pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Don,
>>
>> Finale provides 6 options in its "Group Attributes" dialog box. See
>> http://www.finalemusic.com/usermanuals/finale2012win/content/finale/GROUPDLG.htm.
>> I think "bracket" accurately describes options 3, 5, & 6 (from the
>> left), "brace" being used for option 4.  I can't say that I've seen
>> any other symbols "in the
>> wild".
>>
>> (NB -- My mention of Finale doesn't constitute any kind of
>> endorsement.  It's just that its documentation is easily accessible.)
>>
>> MEI currently offers only "none", "brace", "bracket", and "line" as
>> possibilities, where "line" is reserved for the thin line connecting
>> the score/system staves.  These are sufficient to capture the broad
>> categories of symbols, but they (especially "bracket") don't provide
>> much in the way of visual detail.  The question is, how/where should
>> that detail be located?
>>
>> My solution is to add "rule" and "bracketsq", representing Finale
>> options 2 and 6, respectively.  This expands the level of visual
>> detail encapsulated in the @symbol attribute, but still doesn't
>> differentiate between options 3 and 5 or capture "typographical"
>> features (so-called 'hook' shape, color, line width, etc.). However,
>> it does provide the same level of granularity as MusicXML, enhancing
>> loss-less conversion to/from MEI.
>>
>> Of course, multiple typographical details can't be captured in a
>> single attribute value.  And it's bad practice to add more attributes
>> to <staffGrp> to comment on the value in @symbol.  So, recording
>> those details necessitates a <grpSym> child of <staffGrp> with its
>> own attributes.  Those attributes can then be used to describe the
>> symbol in greater detail or point to a precise rendition stored
>> elsewhere.  This mechanism can be used for any symbol used to group
>> staves, if someone does find an example outside the usual ones you
>> mention, for instance in a manuscript score.
>>
>> Not exactly what you asked for, but helpful nonetheless I hope,
>>
>> --
>> p.
>>
>> __________________________
>> Perry Roland
>> Music Library
>> University of Virginia
>> P. O. Box 400175
>> Charlottesville, VA 22904
>> 434-982-2702 (w)
>> pdr4h (at) virginia (dot) edu

>>> pdr4h (at) virginia (dot) edu
>>> ________________________________
>>> From: mei-l
>>> [mei-l-bounces at lists.uni-paderborn.de<mailto:mei-l-bounces at lists.uni-paderborn.de>]
>>> on behalf of
>>> Zoltán
>>> K?míves
>>> [zolaemil at gmail.com<mailto:zolaemil at gmail.com>]
>>> Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:10 PM
>>>
>>> To: Music Encoding Initiative
>>> Subject: Re: [MEI-L] Thin brackets in orchestral scores
>>>
>>> Hi Andrew,
>>>
>>> The grouping of staves is captured by the staffGrp elements without
>>> specifying @symbol. @symbol captures additional information. I talk
>>> about this additional content.
>>>
>>> Zoltan

>>> "symbol2",