[MEI-L] Thin brackets in orchestral scores

Kőmíves Zoltán zolaemil at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 20:06:26 CET 2013

Hello,

Would you mind to read my crazy thoughts about this issue? I'm just curious
what you people think of my thinking.

I think the "intellectual content" in this case isn't so much how the
connecting symbols look, but the fact that the symbols are *different*.

The current values of @symbol already bear some sort of graphical
information, I think. The problem arose now, because it seems that the
current set of values don't provide a *complete" classification (that is,
in some cases there's no value which describes the symbol's graphical shape
appropriately). But of course, it's impossible to provide a complete
classification without degrading the markup to SVG.

If we accept that the intellectual content is the *difference* between the
connecting symbols, then the proper separation of the "intellectual
content" from it's graphical representation would be to use a set of values
something like this:

"symbol1",
"symbol2",
"symbol3",
etc.

If one wanted to capture more info about their "look and feel", one could
use some pointing mechanism to point to a different element that records
the graphical info (possibly even pointing to an external SVG...)

I know, it's a crazy abstraction. And it may be way too abstract compared
to its practical use, and we could be better off adding a handful of
carefully defined values.

Zoltan