[MEI-L] Thin brackets in orchestral scores

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Dec 11 15:58:09 CET 2013

The "land of music typesetting" is always nearby, not unlike a 4th dimension hovering around us and within us.  :-)   Intellectual content and presentation are always difficult to separate.  But try we must.

There are already issues in the tracker related to @symbol -- nos. 180 & 182.

>From issue #180 -- "The top and bottom components of a bracket can be rendered as curved (similar to Unicode #x1D115) or straight (similar to Unicode #x0005B). The simplest method of dealing with this distinction is to add "bracketsq" (bracket square) to the values allowed by @symbol.  "bracket" will continue to be used for the usual, curved musical bracket. The documentation should be edited to make the distinction clear."

I won't attempt to reproduce #182 here, but it covers the selection of a value for @symbol that captures a line (often fairly wide) used to group systems instead of a brace or bracket.  There's an image in #182 that illustrates various grouping symbols.

Neither the so-called square bracket nor the wide-line-grouping-symbol can be encoded using @symbol="line" since that value is already reserved for the line connecting the staves at their left edge.  I'm partial to the value "rule", but I'm open to suggestions.

I see no harm in adding generic values like this to MEI because they are what I like to call "rendering hints" for the intellectual content -- in this case the staff group.  But obviously this mechanism is not optimal for capturing all the visual details of the symbol, such as line width, color, position, etc.  I am somewhat trepidatious about going too far down that road, at the end of which MEI becomes a re-definition of SVG.  :-)

Yes, there are still things to add to MEI.  And, yes, this is an opportunity to do so.  Now, if there were only more hours in the day ...

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175