[MEI-L] Google Code deprecating downloads

Peter Stadler stadler at edirom.de
Tue Nov 19 17:38:27 CET 2013

Am 19.11.2013 um 16:22 schrieb Raffaele Viglianti <raffaeleviglianti at gmail.com>:

> What Andrew said. Also, using GitHub "releases" could give us a consistent way of tracking and distributing MEI releases. Were GitHub to disappear, their releases are nothing more than Git tags, so they could be migrated without too much hassle.
Yes and no. When creating a git tag (and pushing it to GitHub) it shows up as a GitHub release. But, you can add additional binaries and a change log that goes „beyond Git artifacts“ [1]. Just wanted to mention though I still prefer that option …

This GoogleCodeWiki hack seems a little bit too hacky to me but we could simply provide downloads directly from music-encoding.org as well. There are currently four files in the downloads section from GoogleCode — that should be manageable?! As I understand the "Change to Google Code Download Service“ it only affects this downloads section, not the repository.

Best
Peter

[1] https://github.com/blog/1547-release-your-software

Dateiname   : signature.asc
Dateityp    : application/pgp-signature
Dateigr??e  : 455 bytes
Beschreibung: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail
URL         : <http://lists.uni-paderborn.de/pipermail/mei-l/attachments/20131119/fa4a6745/attachment.sig>