[MEI-L] Standards (was: File extensions)

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Mon Aug 19 21:04:33 CEST 2013

It seems clear that there's no consensus in the MEI community on what
MEI is :-) . Andrew says it "isn't actually an XML schema. I like to
think that you can express MEI in any formalized structure." That is,
MEI is more abstract tha a schema, and I agree. On the other hand, Dave
says "a particular file format [is] basically what MEI is" -- i.e., MEI
is no more abstract than a schema, perhaps less so, and I agree.

I've been working on a universal representation of time and a paper
about it, and being forced to think about _representations_ vs.
_encodings_. The usual distinction is that a representation says what
information is conveyed; an encoding says how it's conveyed, i.e., what
bit patterns mean what. Is that the difference between Unicode proper
(which defines a bunch of code points and principles for assigning new
ones), and UTF8, UTF16, UTF32, and raw Unicode, hi-endian or
low-endian, with or without BOMs (each of defines the meaning of
various patterns of bits)? I don't think so: by assigning code points,
Unicode proper says how the information is conveyed. The UTFs etc. are
just rearranging the bits for convenience, e.g., via "transformation
formats". So maybe hi-endian UTF16 is a _concrete_ encoding, and raw
Unicode is an _abstract_ encoding. (I just made those terms up, but
I'll but others have used them before. So be it.)

It seems to me that MEI is, in concept, a representation of music. But
it's nearly impossible to even _discuss_ representations without using
encodings! So we generally talk about ODD definitions and XML schemas,
which I suspect are abstract encodings; what we actually, uh, encode
music in is a concrete encoding, a.k.a. file format.

I hope this helps, but I'm afraid it'll cause more confusion. If so,
please forgive me!

--Don