[MEI-L] typable events

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Aug 7 13:46:13 CEST 2013

The only thing I have to add here is from an old discussion Perry and I had a while back. I just remembered it when reading through Johannes' e-mail, so I'll reproduce it here:

In the case of the example Johannes provided, I'm unclear what the problem is. Is it that you can't do "<rest type='supplied' />"? This seems a strange way of marking it up, especially since we have quite extensive functionality for editorial additions.

Couldn't it be:

<measure>
…
<supplied reason="missing" resp="$POINTER_TO_AUTHOR_DEF_IN_HEADER">
   <rest />
</supplied>
</measure>

-Andrew

On 2013-08-07, at 1:07 PM, Johannes Kepper <kepper at edirom.de>
 wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> thanks for pointing that out. This solution seems to be too temporary to me, I would like to have something more stable. Also, I'm actually using both @type and @subtype. But this is just about my example – what's your take on the availability of @type on events in general?
>
> jo
>

> Am 07.08.2013 um 13:03 schrieb TW <zupftom at googlemail.com>:
>
>> My favourite attribute to abuse for temporary solutions that should
>> not result in invalid MEI is @label as it's available almost
>> everywhere.  (Kristina can tell you a thing or two about that.)
>>
>> 2013/8/7 Johannes Kepper <kepper at edirom.de>:
>>> Dear List,
>>>
>>> I have some issues I've found recently that I would like to discuss. Let's start with a question about typable events. In current MEI, it is not possible to use @type (att.tybable) on all events (model.eventLike), such as notes, rests, chords, spaces, tuplets, bTrems etc.
>>> I wonder if this is intention, or if we just missed to add that class. Even if it was our intention (though I haven't found a former discussion on this), what were the arguments, and do we still think this is a necessary restriction?
>>>
>>> The following sample may be skipped for brevity…

>>> I'm pretty sure there are simpler examples and better arguments at hand, but I hope my example makes the point. So, what do others say – should events like notes and rests be typable?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Johannes