[MEI-L] Reconstructed parts

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 24 02:25:09 CEST 2013

Hi, All,

Micah is addressing an important need of musicologists, and it touches on an area that is probably irrelevant to TEI.  I'm only perplexed about the word "choice".  This is not about differing opinions. It could incur in a situation in which the editor proposes two or more realizations of lost material.  (an important court case in France recently addressed this subject.  The new material was understood to constitute new authorship, in contrast to the 1725 music otherwise present.)

To be clear, one would have to say "proposed completion/realization." or something similar.  Basso continuo realizations are similarly editorial creations.  In both cases the added material is normally typeset in small notes, so unambiguous tags may do double duty in the future.

Best regards,

Eleanor Selfridge- Field
esfield at stanford.edu

xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word"
xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

/* Style Definitions */p.MsoNormal, p.MsoAutoSig, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal	{margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt;}@page WordSection1	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;	mso-header-margin:36.0pt;	mso-footer-margin:36.0pt;	mso-paper-source:0;}div.WordSection1	{page:WordSection1;}

Eleanor Selfridge-Field

Consulting Professor, Music (and, by courtesy, Symbolic Systems)

Braun Music Center #129

Stanford University

Stanford, CA 94305-3076, USA

http://www.stanford.edu/~esfield/