[MEI-L] [mei-devel] Attribute default values

Zoltan Komives zoltan.komives at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 14:41:58 CEST 2013

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply! I am very new to MEI, and your answer helps me a lot
to understand some of the MEI principles!

I understand that the option for "no information is provided" is a basic
MEI principle to achieve maximum flexibility.

>That said, assuming default values for attributes like @barthru would sort
of force projects to set this >attribute because leaving it out would have
implications that were not intended.
I see, e.g. by
<staffGrp/>
  <staffGrp/>
  <staffDef/>
  <staffDef/>
</staffGrp>
we want to mean neither "bar lines crossing across all the staves", nor
"bar lines do not cross any of the staves". Following the "no information
principle" it simply means nothing about bar lines.

However, in some cases an assumption of a default value can be implied by
the presence of the explicit information within the same (or nested, or
nesting) structure.

E.g. by
<staffGrp id="outer">
  <staffGrp id="inner" barthru="true"/>
  <staffDef/>
  <staffDef/>
</staffGrp>
the editor most probably means staffGrp="false" in the outer group, rather
than "no information about whether bar lines are crossing in the outer
group or not, but bar lines definitely crossing in the inner group".

Another example is
<staffGrp id="outer" barthru="true">
  <staffGrp id="inner"/>
  <staffDef>
</staffGrp>
where the inner group should surely "inherit" its parent's barthru="false"
if we think about it intuitively.

Do I understand it right, that profiles are meant to handle these sorts of
ambiguities of encoding? It would be great if you could point me towards
further info regarding profiles.

Thanks very much
Zoltan

P.S.: following Andrew Hankinson's suggestion I am moving this discussion
from mei-devel to MEI-L