[MEI-L] [mei-devel] Attribute default values

Zoltan Komives zoltan.komives at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 14:38:57 CEST 2013

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply! Maybe it's not actually inconsistent, but here is an
example that's puzzling at first glance (from
Altenburg_concerto_C_major.xml<http://music-encoding.org/sampleCollection/encodings/Altenburg_concerto_C_major.xml>
):

<staffGrp>

  <staffGrp barthru="false" symbol="bracket">
    <staffDef n="2" label="Clarino 1-1.Chor" />
    <staffDef n="3" label="Clarino 2-1.Chor" />
    <staffDef n="4" label="Prinzipal-Chor 1" />
  </staffGrp>
  <staffGrp barthru="false" symbol="bracket">
    <staffDef n="5" label="Clarino 1-2.Chor"/>
    <staffDef n="6" label="Clarino 2-2.Chor"/>
    <staffDef n="7" label="Prinzipal-2.Chor"/>

  </staffGrp>
  <staffDef n="8" label="Timpani in C-G"/>
</staffGrp>

It seems it assumes @barthru=true as default since it only uses barthru
explicitly when the value is "false" - however, it wouldn't make much sense
to have @barthru true in the outer staff group and false in the inner staff
group; and the accompanying
.pdf<http://music-encoding.org/sampleCollection/encodings/Altenburg_concerto_C_major.pdf>proves
that the editor surely didn't mean to indicated that.

>Do you mean that it should be specified in the guidelines whether the
absence of

>@barthru means true or false by default?

Yes, that's what I meant, please see my answer re Thomas Weber's reply in
the following email!

Zoltan

P.S.: following Andrew's suggestion I am moving this discussion from
mei-devel to MEI-L