[MEI-L] Encoding ligature and coloration brackets

Micah Walter mwalter at haverford.edu
Wed Jun 19 20:32:28 CEST 2013

To me, it always makes more sense to use semantically meaningful markup. You are right about our goals in encoding as accurate (and abstract) a form of the CMN as we can. We're rendering on the fly from MEI using VexFlow <http://www.vexflow.com>. I'll see if I can try using <annot> to describe the content of the music, but as you suggested, we might reach a point where we just need the brackets printed, by hook or by crook…we'll see.

I suppose it would also be possible to *both* draw brackets explicitly *and* encode content using <annot>—this might be an eventual compromise.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Micah