[MEI-L] Encoding elisions

TW zupftom at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 27 11:33:42 CEST 2013

Thanks Raffaele and Perry!

2013/4/27 Roland, Perry (pdr4h) <pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu>:

> Anyway, it looks like we have some work to do on <abbr> and <expan>.  MEI
> 2014, anyone?

<abbr> indeed looks like a good fit for our situation, but I don't
think <abbr> alone would be sufficient in the cases where we have
start and end of a passage.  <gap> (or something more appropriate that
would have to be invented) would still be needed to indicate where the
actual elision is.  And in this project, editors will not provide an
expanded form.  If we try to use <abbr> inside <layer> in a way that
conforms with current MEI structures, we'd unfortunately have to
resort to soviet Russia methods, packaging it in <choice> without an
alternative.

Instead of providing expanded forms, I could imagine that in the
future the project will opt for pointing to other places in the corpus
where the chant appears in its complete form (there might be multiple
places to point to with different variants).  We could use @corresp on
<section> for this purpose - not only on the abbreviated ones.

Thomas