[MEI-L] Encoding elisions

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Sat Apr 27 00:49:51 CEST 2013

__________________________
Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175
Charlottesville, VA 22904
434-982-2702 (w)
pdr4h (at) virginia (dot) edu
________________________________
From: mei-l-bounces at lists.uni-paderborn.de [mei-l-bounces at lists.uni-paderborn.de] on behalf of Raffaele Viglianti [raffaeleviglianti at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 6:41 PM
To: Music Encoding Initiative
Subject: Re: [MEI-L] Encoding elisions

Hi Thomas,

That sounds like a good case for <abbr> to me. If you wanted, you could then encode the full passage with <expan>.

Best,
Raffaele

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM, TW <zupftom at googlemail.com<mailto:zupftom at googlemail.com>> wrote:
Dear MEI family,

for Corpus monodicum, we need to encode situations where a scribe
notates only the beginning and sometimes also the end of a chant
section.  Those are kind of cues and the scribe assumes the singer
knows how to continue.  It's really similar to when only the first
words of a refrain are printed between verses.

I think <gap> is the appropriate thing to use, like:

  <syllable>
    <syl>Sex</syl>
  </syllable>
  <syllable>
    <syl>bomb</syl>
  </syllable>

  <gap reason="cue"/>

  <!-- Sometimes we also have this following the gap: -->
  <syllable>
    <syl>turn</syl>
  </syllable>
  <syllable>
    <syl>me</syl>
  </syllable>
  <syllable>
    <syl>on.</syl>
  </syllable>

(Yes, Corpus monodicum also transcribes a few love songs.)

Any objections to this structure?  For some reason I don't feel 100%
confident that this is what the <gap> element was made for.

Thomas