[MEI-L] Encoding elisions

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Sat Apr 27 00:44:09 CEST 2013

Hi Thomas,

The quick answer -- This isn't exactly what <gap> was intended for, but at the present time there's no other element that can be used instead.  Someone more familiar with TEI will have to confirm this, but I believe there's also no element in TEI that indicates "nothing here in the original", so TEIers use <gap> -- incorrectly the way I read the Guidelines.

I'm not averse to changing the description of <gap> to match this particular use, especially if there's precedent for it in TEI practice.

Have a great weekend,

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia