[MEI-L] graceful beams

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Fri Apr 12 17:03:03 CEST 2013

Hi JoMaja,

When you say "results in the rendition you see in the black&white sample", what's being used to produce the output?

Grace notes are never connected to beams containing non-grace notes.  Even though the grace notes are encoded inside the beam element, they are not logically part of the beamed group.  Therefore, the software should ignore interspersed grace notes when drawing beams.

Beams containing only grace notes, as you say, are a different matter.  Obviously, in this case they should be connected.

By the way, in your example output, the notes are misaligned.  The first non-grace note in the top staff should vertically align with the first non-grace note in the bottom staff.

Perry Roland
Music Library

University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175