[MEI-L] Time representation in MEI and EDTF

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Fri Apr 5 22:36:22 CEST 2013

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 08:41:22 +0200, Benjamin Wolff Bohl
<bohl at edirom.de> wrote:
> Hi Don,
> took me a while to look what this interesting email subject was all
> about and it is really interesting! The notions of implementing
> certainty in a timeformat that EDTF puts forward is certainly very
> promising for dating issues, although this might be conflicting with
> the possibilities metadata formats already give. An implementation of
> a fixed EDTF standard in a format already providing possibilities
> like certainty/uncertainty, not-before, not-after, etc. will result
> in even more ways of encoding the same thing, as metadata formats
> certainly won't easily drop such features.
> If it comes to music the decimal digits of seconds might not be
> interesting for source dating but for metadata of audio files, CDs,
> LPs or any other sound carrier. Also in things like performance
> analysis, or semiautomatic audio data analysis or some MIR issues,
> precise timecodes are essential.
> From my audio engineering background I'd even say that you'll need at
> least 3 digits decimal places. In binaural tests 10ms delay between
> the same signal on both ears have been proved to be audible by almost
> everybody. Trained audio engineers / musicians (the best of wich were
> percussionists) can hear differences smaller than 5ms, even a 1ms
> delay can be heard.

Hi, Benjamin. Thanks for the reply; _I_ thought this was an interesting
question, and one really deserving discussion! What you say about
audible time differences agrees closely with what I've read and my own
(limited) experience. Though I'm not convinced yet anyone can hear a 1
ms delay -- I would have said 2 ms or so -- but you probably know more
than I do.

> Now for example describing digitized audio material, I don't see why
> one should not be able to describe sample positions, e.g.
> hh:mm:ss:sample.
> With audio samplerates of standardized sound carriers ranging as high
> as 192kHz this would mean a sample is something like 0.0052
> milliseconds!
> Nevertheless there are phenomena on intersample level which lead DAW
> (Digital Audio Workstation) plugin developers to start oversampling
> in their software.
> The more technical we get on this the smaller will the time units get ;-)

:-)  Exactly. Oversampling involves frequencies in the megahertz, so
intervals of less than a microsecond. But I think the main issues for
EDTF are:

(1) What range of applications it's intended to support. The official
statement is the effort is "to develop a reasonably comprehensive
date/time definition for the bibliographic community, as well as other
interested communities, and submitting it for standardization or some
other mode of formalization, for example a W3C note or an amendment to
ISO 8601." Well, what other communities are interested? I suspect the
academic music-encoding community is, and you and I (at least) agree
that resolution of one second isn't nearly good enough!

(2) Compatibility. In particular, is EDTF supposed to have the
potential to replace ISO 8601? To a great extent, this is a tradeoff
with difficulty of implementation. The list moderator's position seems
to be "not if it makes implementing EDTF harder", but I think that's a
mistake. Especially since they've already divided features into several
levels, i.e., Level 0 is a subset of ISO 8601; Level 1 adds many
features, and Level 2 adds more. So people that want only what ISO 8601
can deliver need only support EDTF Level 0.

I think the major issues for MEI are similar. We certainly want to
describe audio timing as accurately as anyone can hear, and we may want
to describe digitized audio at the sample level -- but not considering
oversampling, which is really just a convenience for the D/A converter.
And we want to maintain compatibility with existing time
representations _if_ it's not too hard.

There's a lot more to say about all of this, but I'd better stop with
the above twenty-two cents :-) .

--DAB