[MEI-L] Encoding of personal names

Kristina Richts kristina.richts at gmx.de
Thu Feb 7 15:27:40 CET 2013

Hello,

well, I think, this discussion for itself shows the different needs of
encoding responsibilities and even one thing more: We can't find a
solution for all these needs.
So, I vote to keep things as general as possible. Johannes is right that
we don't have to draw the line. This is better than drawing it just
"somewhere".
I can understand Perry's approach to provide <creator> and <contributor>
as replacements for <author>. Regarding the FRBR stuff I have worked
myself through different cataloguing rules (international as well as
national) these days and you can find the separation into these two big
groups of responsibilities almost everywhere. It is the question if we
want to jump up or just leave it. All in all, the "syntactic sugar" (to
speak in your language ;-) ) won't help to make the decision, if someone
is "author" or "creator" or whatever, easier. Regarding this, it would
be fine to maintain single <persName>, <corpName> etc. elements within
the statement of responsibility. The 200 MARC relator terms should
provide enough specification (as long as they are used). So, I would
<lyricist>.

By the way: Thanks for the hint, that there is no "encoder" term in the
MARC term list for relators ;-) I totally forgot about that, but
remember now, this was the reason, why we chose "creator" (instead of
"encoder") first...
The "markup editor" term is fine. Or "transcriber" (as it is an
electronic transcription)?

Best,
Kristina