[MEI-L] MEI 1st tutorials

Kristina Richts kristina.richts at gmx.de
Wed Jan 9 19:54:38 CET 2013

Dear colleagues,

I am happy to inform you about some new training materials being
available on the MEI website from today.
They are grouped under the heading "MEI 1st" and can be found at
http://music-encoding.org/support/MEI1st.

MEI 1st is a set of tutorials, that has been developed as part of the
DFG/NEH project. It will help you to learn about different aspects of
the encoding scheme of the Music Encoding Initiative (MEI), and acts as
a guideline from the first steps into MEI through more advanced aspects
of music encoding. The tutorials cover the following aspects:
• General MEI Document Structure
• Creating a new MEI Document
• Encoding Music Notation
• Exploring the Header

Some tutorials, such as "Encoding Music Notation" and "Exploring the
Header", are divided into different chapters and ordered according to
increasing complexity. Each tutorial begins with an overview of the
corresponding features of MEI and concludes with a test of the
principles addressed in that section.
We hope you enjoy learning more about MEI with MEI 1st – your feedback
is more than welcome.

I would also like to thank Maja, Rya Martin, Irmlind Capelle, Kristin
Herold, Benjamin, Joachim, Johannes, Perry and others for their
substantial support of MEI 1st.

Best wishes,
Kristina