[MEI-L] page sizes; books on music notation/engraving

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Wed Dec 12 20:18:02 CET 2012

I've finally finished documenting how units and coordinate systems work
in Nightingale. It's far less detailed than Craig's opus on SCORE, and
it's not at all clear to me it'll be helpful to this discussion!; but
anyway here it is (attached).

Also, if anyone is interested in books on conventional Western music
notation (CWMN), the latest and quite possibly greatest I know of is
Behind Bars, by Elaine Gould, published by Faber Music. It's certainly
the most detailed book on CWMN I've ever seen; it even includes
specific rules about exactly how much space to allow for lots of
things, something I've seen in only one book before (Ted Ross' old The
Art of Music Engraving and Processing).

--Don

--
Donald Byrd