[MEI-L] FRBR in MEI

Axel Teich Geertinger atge at kb.dk
Mon Nov 19 15:11:23 CET 2012

Hi Craig

That's an interesting case. First, an attempt at modeling it the "strict" FRBR way, using expressions for performances (including the studio or live performances resulting in recordings). In that case, <eventList>s will not be used to describe performances. Assuming that the "translation" expression-to-expression relationship, which FRBR uses to describe a transcription of music, also is the one to use the other way (from score to performance), I get something like the following in <workDesc>:

            <work>
                <titleStmt>
                    <title>Variations Op. 27</title>
                    <respStmt>
                        <name role="composer">Anton Webern</name>
                    </respStmt>
                </titleStmt>
                <expressionList>
                    <expression xml:id="expression_1">
                        <titleStmt>
                            <title>Variations Op. 27 (score)</title>
                        </titleStmt>
                        <relationList>
                            <relation rel="hasEmbodiment" target="source_1"/>
                            <relation rel="hasTranslation" target="expression_2"/>
                        </relationList>
                    </expression>
                    <expression xml:id="expression_2">
                        <titleStmt>
                            <title>1961 Recording</title>
                            <respStmt>
                                <name role="instrumentalist">Webster Aitken</name>
                            </respStmt>
                        </titleStmt>
                        <relationList>
                            <relation rel="isTranslationOf" target="expression_1"/>
                            <relation rel="hasTranslation" target="expression_3"/>
                            <relation rel="hasEmbodiment" target="source_2"/>
                        </relationList>
                    </expression>
                    <expression xml:id="expression_3" analog="frbr:manifestation">
                        <titleStmt>
                            <title>Craig's performance score of the 1961 recording</title>
                        </titleStmt>
                        <relationList>
                            <relation rel="isTranslationOf" target="expression_2"/>
                            <relation rel="hasEmbodiment" target="source_3"/>
                        </relationList>
                    </expression>
                    <expression xml:id="expression_4">
                        <titleStmt>
                            <title>Some live performance</title>
                            <respStmt>
                                <name role="instrumentalist">Webster Aitken</name>
                            </respStmt>
                        </titleStmt>
                        <relationList>
                            <relation rel="isTranslationOf" target="source_1"/>
                        </relationList>
                    </expression>
                </expressionList>
            </work>

And in <sourceDesc>:

                <source xml:id="source_1" analog="frbr:manifestation">
                    <titleStmt>
                        <title>UE Score</title>
                    </titleStmt>
                    <pubStmt>
                        <respStmt>
                            <corpName role="publisher">Universal Edition</corpName>
                        </respStmt>
                        <date isodate="1937">1937</date>
                    </pubStmt>
                    <relationList>
                        <relation rel="isEmbodimentOf" target="expression_1"/>
                    </relationList>
                </source>
                <source xml:id="source_2" analog="frbr:manifestation">
                    <titleStmt>
                        <title>Aitken Recording DEL 25407</title>
                    </titleStmt>
                    <pubStmt>
                        <respStmt>
                            <corpName role="publisher">Delos</corpName>
                        </respStmt>
                        <date>1978</date>
                    </pubStmt>
                    <relationList>
                        <relation rel="isEmbodimentOf" target="expression_2"/>
                    </relationList>
                </source>
                <source xml:id="source_3" analog="frbr:manifestation">
                    <titleStmt>
                        <title>Craig's online performance score of the 1961 recording</title>
                    </titleStmt>
                    <pubStmt>
                        <availability>
                            <acqSource><ptr target="http://mazurka.org.uk/webern/notation/Aitken1961"/></acqSource>
                        </availability>
                    </pubStmt>
                    <relationList>
                        <relation rel="isEmbodimentOf" target="expression_3"/>
                    </relationList>
                </source>

That's certainly a possible approach. I see a few problems, though. Most important, you will get a lot of expressions and an even larger number of <relation>s to explain their interrelations. This may be perfectly valid, but quite complex to process, as I see it. Also, allowing only a very small amount of variation within an expression (such as Johannes suggests, and indeed the FRBR report too) tends to produce 1:1-relationships between expression and manifestation, which is not very useful. For instance, manuscripts will obviously differ from a printed edition more than, say, "two states of the same edition" (FRBR), so following this logic strictly, we would need to define a separate expression for a manuscript draft, another one for a fair copy, yet another for the printed first edition etc. My problem is that this would leave no room for defining different versions of the work - or: to do so, I would have to define expressions (all as siblings!), some of which describe a completely abstract entity (like "the version for nose flute & harpsichord"), and some of which describe not-so-abstract entities like the expression that is embodied only by one manuscript or one specific performance. I suspect FRBR would regard these versions as actually being separate *works*, but I think it should really be the project editor's decision where to draw that line. Traditionally, in most thematic catalogues different versions of a work are listed as variant representations of the same work.
I find the distinction between the four FRBR group 1 entities really useful only if we maintain the distinction between completely abtract entities (work and expression), and non-abstract (manifestation [=source] and item). This may not be exactly how FRBR intends it, but otherwise I'd say there an entity missing between work and expression, grouping the more or less physical realizations of the work into clusters of closely related expressions (for instance, the written representations, the recordings, and the performances of the version for nose flute).
Of course, we could introduce an additional "version" element. But that would leave us with five levels of description with even less clear distinction between them. I think the more productive approach for us would be to decide that we limit expressions (defined by FRBR as "the specific intellectual or artistic form that a work takes each time it is "realized" ") to describing versions, and accommodating the different mediations, which expressions may otherwise represent, as children of these expressions, like we do when using <eventList> for performances. Also bearing in mind that the MEI is *not* a general music cataloguing language, but primarily relates to music notation, I find it completely acceptable that MEI metadata are notation-centric, treating other media such as recordings and performances more as peripheral phenomena. We may consider, though, if in that case we should avoid the element name <expression> and call it <version> instead.
Interpreting expression as version, I would suggest something more like the following. In the Webern Op. 27 case, there is only one expression, serving as the container for all. It could be used to describe the sequence of movements, which is shared by all these representations, too (in a <componentGrp> element; not included here). You will notice the encoding is more concise, actually without loss of information. The FRBR relations, however, are now used at different levels than by original FRBR. In <workDesc>:

            <work>
                <titleStmt>
                    <title>Variations Op. 27</title>
                    <respStmt>
                        <name role="composer">Anton Webern</name>
                    </respStmt>
                </titleStmt>
                <expressionList>
                    <expression xml:id="expression_1">
                        <titleStmt>
                            <title>Variations Op. 27</title>
                        </titleStmt>
                        <history>
                            <eventList type="performances">
                                <event>
                                    <title>Some live performance</title>
                                    <name role="instrumentalist">Webster Aitken</name>
                                </event>
                            </eventList>
                        </history>

In <sourceDESC>:

                <source xml:id="source_1" analog="frbr:manifestation">
                    <titleStmt>
                        <title>UE Score</title>
                    </titleStmt>
                    <pubStmt>
                        <respStmt>
                            <corpName role="publisher">Universal Edition</corpName>
                        </respStmt>
                        <date isodate="1937">1937</date>
                    </pubStmt>
                    <relationList>
                        <relation rel="isEmbodimentOf" target="expression_1"/>
                        <relation rel="hasTranslation" target="source_2"/>
                    </relationList>
                </source>
                <source xml:id="source_2" analog="frbr:manifestation">
                    <titleStmt>
                        <title>Aitken Recording DEL 25407</title>
                    </titleStmt>
                    <pubStmt>
                        <respStmt>
                            <corpName role="publisher">Delos</corpName>
                        </respStmt>
                        <date>1978</date>
                    </pubStmt>
                    <relationList>
                        <relation rel="isEmbodimentOf" target="expression_1"/>
                        <relation rel="isTranslationOf" target="source_1"/>
                        <relation rel="hasTranslation" target="source_3"/>
                    </relationList>
                </source>
                <source xml:id="source_3" analog="frbr:manifestation">
                    <titleStmt>
                        <title>Craig's performance score of the 1961 recording</title>
                    </titleStmt>
                    <pubStmt>
                        <availability>
                            <acqSource><ptr target="http://mazurka.org.uk/webern/notation/Aitken1961"/></acqSource>
                        </availability>
                    </pubStmt>
                    <relationList>
                        <relation rel="isEmbodimentOf" target="expression_1"/>
                        <relation rel="isTranslationOf" target="source_2"/>
                    </relationList>
                </source>

Following this path even further, recordings could be treated in about the same way as performances, as <bibl>s for instance - but this of course depends on the importance of the recording for the encoding of the music (if any) in the MEI document in question:

        <workDesc>
            <work>
                <titleStmt>
                    <title>Variations Op. 27</title>
                    <respStmt>
                        <name role="composer">Anton Webern</name>
                    </respStmt>
                </titleStmt>
                <expressionList>
                    <expression xml:id="expression_1">
                        <titleStmt>
                            <title>Variations Op. 27</title>
                        </titleStmt>
                        <history>
                            <eventList type="performances">
                                <event>
                                    <title>Some live performance</title>
                                    <name role="instrumentalist">Webster Aitken</name>
                                </event>
                            </eventList>
                        </history>
                        <biblList>
                            <bibl>
                                <!-- there seems to no more precise MARC genre term than "sound"(?) -->
                                <genre authority="marcgt" authURI="http://www.loc.gov/standards/valuelist/marcgt.html">sound</genre>
                                <title>Aitken Recording DEL 25407</title>
                                <name role="instrumentalist">Webster Aitken</name>
                                <imprint>
                                    <publisher>Delos</publisher>
                                    <date>1978</date>
                                </imprint>
                            </bibl>
                        </biblList>
                        <relationList>
                            <relation rel="hasEmbodiment" target="source_1"/>
                            <relation rel="hasEmbodiment" target="source_2"/>
                            <relation rel="hasTranslation" target="expression_2"/>
                        </relationList>
                    </expression>
                </expressionList>
            </work>

It doesn't have to be either/or, of course. As Perry has pointed out, it may be done either way, depending on the individual projects. If the use of FRBR is optional anyway (for instance, by putting <expression> and the like in an optional module), I guess it would be acceptable doing it this way too. Opinions?

Cheers,
Axel