[MEI-L] FRBR in MEI

Craig Sapp craigsapp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 20:45:39 CET 2012

Hi All,

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 2:33 AM, Axel Teich Geertinger <atge at kb.dk> wrote:

> We encode performances using <eventList> elements within
> expression/history, i.e. as (grand-)children of <expression>, which really
> makes sense to me.

This year I extracted note/event level timings for all commercially
available recordings of Webern's (not Weber's) Op. 27 piano variations.
"Performance" scores of the piece can be viewed online:
    http://mazurka.org.uk/webern/notation
The notation engine is SCORE, with the output converted into SVG images
(one per system) (Thanks to Thomas Weber for his SCORE EPS to SVG
converter: https://github.com/th-we/seps2svg).  The horizontal axis in the
notation represents time, and the grayscale of the noteheads represents
loudness (light=soft, dark=loud).  Timings/dynamics are for all notes
occurring simultaneously in the score (i.e., "chords", and which I usually
call "events"), not individual notes.  For your amusement, here is the
performance data:
    http://mazurka.org.uk/webern/dynamics/mvmt1/webern-op27-1-Aitken1961.dyn
used to generate this score (mvmt 1):
    http://mazurka.org.uk/webern/notation/Aitken1961
and here is the SCORE data used to generate the score (first system of
first movement):

http://mazurka.org.uk/webern/notation/Aitken1961/webern-op27-1-Aitken1961-sys01.pmx
(first in the data are lots of little lines for the tick marks above and
below the system, then the lists of notes which I am coloring in SVG rather
than SCORE)

How would this sort of data be encoded in MEI along with the printed score
(luckily all performers are using the same edition of the music, and I
ignore wrong notes)?  Could multiple <eventList>s be stored with the score
for different performances?  And how might all this relate to FRBR?
Another wonder: how would the "performance" scores be represented in MEI
(or just leave the "manifestation" to the renderer?).  In other words,
these "scores" have pitch information (but no accidentals to preserve
clarity), no score rhythms but with performance rhythm indicated by spatial
layout on the system.

Thanks to an American, the works of Webern will go into the public domain
at the end of 2015, so something interesting might be done with this data
and the printed score in a few years without the need for permissions.

-=+Craig