[MEI-L] Layout discussion

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Thu Nov 8 14:45:11 CET 2012

Don't blame it on me – some of you requested to have the following discussion completely in public, and I think we should follow that suggestion. I expect this thread to be somewhat lengthy. What we should try to resolve is how MEI deals with layout-specific information, its relationship to the semantic parts of MEI, separating out layout info in a similar way than CSS does for HTML, relationship of various units (and types thereof), page-based approaches to MEI etc.

I will try to summarize the model I briefly introduced in New Orleans last week. I would love to see Laurent replying to that, ideally with a thorough introduction of our layout tree proposal and its specific qualities. This should introduce lurkers to our current state, and from there, we can refer back to our proposal from last week and see where the discussion leads us…

Every single source is also represented by a separate file, let's call it sourceXY.xml. These files do not contain <app>s and <rdg>s at all, they just reflect the musical text as given in the according source. They contain elements for all notes etc., but they omit the basic attributes as specified in the common.xml. Instead, they use a reference to the corresponding elements in this file. Here's an example:

common.xml:
<note xml:id="noteX" pname="c" oct="4" dur="1"/>

sourceXY.xml:
<note stem.dir="up" sameas="common.xml#noteX/>

It is easily possible to point to a note within a <app>/<rdg> in case the basic parameters already differ.

The benefit of this approach is that it completely relies on existing MEI – it does not require any further additions to the standard and works "out of the box".

But, it does not address all requests catered for with a distinct layout tree, which I hope Laurent will introduce.
jo