[MEI-L] page sizes; multiple staff sizes; def. of point

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Thu Nov 8 11:43:11 CET 2012

Perhaps I'm muddying the waters, but should we start looking at ways of further separating the musical structure from the actual appearance? More specifically, using CSS to control the appearance of elements, rather than interweaving the visual and semantic structure.

For instance, page margins, staff sizes, cue sizes -- all of this could be specified in a different style sheet for different media: print, tablet, mobile phones, web browsers, etc. A print style sheet could specify in points or inches; a display stylesheet could specify in pixels, ems, or proportions. Different media will have different presentation needs, and if we're to make sure that MEI can operate in both the physical and digital worlds simultaneously, this question will become more important, not less.

I'm not *completely* convinced of this since it does complicate lots of things, but I think it's worthy of at least a bit of discussion.

-Andrew