[MEI-L] page sizes; multiple staff sizes; def. of point

Laurent Pugin laurent at music.mcgill.ca
Wed Nov 7 17:27:51 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Byrd, Donald A. <donbyrd at indiana.edu>wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 21:49:55 -0800, Craig Sapp <craigsapp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Don,
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Byrd, Donald A. <donbyrd at indiana.edu>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Finally (and I suspect MEI already handles this), I'd like to point out
>>> that two sizes of staves -- "normal" and "cue-size" -- aren't always
>>> enough; there are published performing editions that use three staff
>>> sizes.
>>> (In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if editions with _four_ sizes exist,
>>> though I don't know of any.)
>>>

>> I have seen at least three sizes in a score before, and this would
>> theoretically allow for four sizes:
>>
>> In a piano/instrumental score, the piano part typically has the
>> instrumental part displayed above it in a slightly smaller size.  And I
>> have seen ossia parts for the instrumental staff which in turn would be
>> smaller than the instrumental staff size.  So if the piano part also had
>> an
>> ossia, then there would be four staff sizes, unless the ossia for the
>> piano
>> is the same size as the instrumental part (which it probably should).
>>

> Right. My list of CMN extremes
>
>  http://www.informatics.**indiana.edu/donbyrd/**CMNExtremes.htm<http://www.informatics.indiana.edu/donbyrd/CMNExtremes.htm>
>
> lists the J. C. Bach Concerto for Harpsichord or Piano and Strings in
> E-flat, Op. 7 no. 5 (Dobereiner ed., 1927), where the 3rd size appears
> briefly, for an ossia. I'm sure I've seen other instances but I can't
> recall any; if you have other(s) handy, I'd love to hear about 'em (though
> I'm not sure others on this list would).

The number of possible sizes would be unlimited since it can be defined for
every staff individually (in staffDef element) if necessary. Our proposal
was nonetheless to have a cue-size for the most common cases where we have
only one size of cue-size staves and to have it defined at a higher level
(in scoreDef element).

Laurent