[MEI-L] Connection/relation of multiple parts

Benjamin Wolff Bohl bohl at edirom.de
Tue Oct 30 15:48:06 CET 2012

Hi evbdy,

This is true, although even without the resolution of the IDREFs in @source a proper logical tree following a certain source can be generated, as the corresponding source element only supplies meta information on the source, not on the actual music content in body.

> or rendition elements in TEI for @rend, etc. In this context, I don't see a problem with encoding the relations between parts in the header similarly to how one would encode the relations between sources.

Neither in the case of rendition elements you add information concerning the logical structure of the body, rather it is visualization/rendition info. The case with the mei:mdivs would be comparable to add a sort of TOC in the header which then would be used to bring "unordered" mei:part elements into the order of the intended output, being for example the complete violin part of a work. Applied to the TEI example that would imply a sort of stand-off TOC in to order your chapters (div elements) resp. sub-chapters?
Leading back to Daniels question:

This brings up an interesting question:
With a score-element-encoding you could "line up" all measures in document order and would become a perfectly ordered continuous score resembling the source. Whilst when encoding parts, a similar mechanism stacking all parts would lead to a score as well and not to part extracts resembling a collection of performance parts. But isn't the parts element intended for encoding such parts in the source? If so, I would support Daniel's idea of switching hierarchies in <parts> to part/mdiv/measure.

Using the already proposed @decls to point to the header, I don't understand why you would not use the children of perfMedium? The nested instrumentation/instrVoice elements could then provide a standardized label for the part and its staves.

> Nonetheless, @prev and @next may be a quick and perfectly valid solution to this problem.

Seems plausible, quick and valid, although the presence of theses attributes should then be best practice MEI in case you have more than one mdiv element. When processing the MEI you nevertheless would need to check every (following::) part element for their IDs until you find the matching one, which could be nested deep inside other mdivs.