[MEI-L] revision of <bibl>

Peter Stadler stadler at edirom.de
Fri Oct 26 14:04:36 CEST 2012

Am 22.10.2012 um 21:00 schrieb "Roland, Perry (pdr4h)" <pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu>:

> I'm not quite yet convinced of the need to adopt a model as highly-structured as TEI's <biblStruct> or the other schemas you pointed to.  Looking at Axel's examples and trying to envision future requirements, I don't see a need *at this time* for the level of detail that <biblStruct> provides.  So, I've been working toward an element I call <biblStrict>.  If we determine that an even more-structured way of handling bibliographic citations/descriptions than <biblStrict> is necessary, we can look at emulating/adopting <biblStruct>, bibtexml, or Zotero.
>
> Whereas, <bibl> allows all inline text elements, <biblStrict> will permit only <title> and the members of a new class, model.biblPart, which has the members: biblScope, contributor, creation, creator, distributor, edition, editor, funder, genre, imprint, physLoc, pubPlace, publisher, recipient, relatedItem, series, and sponsor.  This is very similar to the TEI model of <bibl> with inline text elements removed.

Sorry, but I am not convinced by your arguments.
<biblStrict> is even worse than <bibl> since it does remove inline text without imposing any structure. I like <tei:biblStruct> simply because  it separates information concerning different bibliographic level (series, monogr, analytic) thus creating a hierarchy and structure. That's not overly complex or too detailed. But it's better than throwing everything into one container. Bibtex (and Zotero?) has that sort of flat hierarchy as well (while you could probably infer hierarchy from cross-references) and wasn't meant as an example in that case. It was meant as an example for additional fields which are lacking in TEI, e.g. tags/keywords or abstracts.

Best
Peter

--
Peter Stadler