[MEI-L] revision of <bibl>

Benjamin Wolff Bohl bohl at edirom.de
Wed Oct 24 09:26:43 CEST 2012

Hi all,
great thing this is being discussed on MEI-L .
[1] A more strict version of mei:bibl is a good idea to support encpding
structured data and I suppose Axel is the one to best estimate the
degree of strictness currently needed.
[2] As for the new elements I agree with Peter that we should remodel
existing schemata and only "reinvent the wheel" if we see they are
lacking some specific feature or are problematic in any other way.
[another two cents]Consequently a first thing already problematic in the
concept is mei:series and mei:seriesStmt vs.
mei:relatedItem[@rel='series'] as this implements two different ways. I
know this is a devloping thing and for that reson things become
implemnted step by step, nonetheless I would opt for allowing
mei:relatedItem[@rel='series'] in order to allow either encoding with a
small amount of relation in the first case and a relation-based encoding
in the latter. It's a similar case with mei:respStmt/mei:persName[@role]
vs. mei:creator mei:editor etc.
I know allowing multiple ways of encoding the same thing makes files
more ambiguous and harder to process. a new mei:biblStrict on the other
hand could allow for only one way of encoding these phenomena.

Best wihes,
Benjamin

Benjamin Wolff Bohl

Edirom - Projekt "Digitale Musikedition"
Musikwissenschaftliches Seminar Detmold/Paderborn
Gartenstraße 20
D – 32756 Detmold

Tel. +49 (0) 5231 / 975-669
Fax: +49 (0) 5231 / 975-668