[MEI-L] Antw.: More "precise" <app>s

Raffaele Viglianti raffaeleviglianti at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 16:35:25 CEST 2012

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for these very insightful comments! I agree with your arguments for
a grouping element to help escape hierarchy (given that, one could imagine
a stand-off approach to apparatus entries that might be quite interesting
to work with).

Nonetheless, I still see value in having @next and @prev.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Johannes Kepper <kepper at edirom.de> wrote:

> I don't like @next / @prev on <app>. It seems like there is no order of
> differences between sources.

Is the order of sources defined at app level? The @source attribute on rdg
should allow you to list your rdgs in whatever order; information in the
header dictates the relevance of each source over another.

>  Using @next to indicate that a separate <app> deals with the _same_
> situation seems absolutely awkward.

Although I can see why using @corresp or @sameas would be wrong, I don't
see why using @next is awkward. @prev and @next don't indicate a sequence,
but indicate an aggregation, which is what Thomas needed in his example.

> For me, this situation is another argument to a feature request I've been
> talking about quite a while. In my opinion, MEI will need a generic <grp>
> (group) element to address issues like this. [...] A <damageGrp> would
> point to <damage> elements which may spread across all levels of hierarchy
> etc. TEI uses *Span elements for this (<addSpan>), but TEI normally relies
> on a linear encoding of a base text, which is just interrupted by
> additional, "strippable" markup. A similar solution seems not possible for
> MEI.

This is true, and as I've said I like this idea. There still is value to
embedded markup, though, particularly for apparatus entries. Still, I can
see how it wouldn't work with damage, add, del, etc. in advanced manuscript
transcription.

Best,
Raffaele