[MEI-L] analysis

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Apr 23 23:41:04 CEST 2012

Given the current definition of hfunc one should not "do his analysis" of chords using the hfunc attribute.

The att.harmonicfunction class is for attributes describing the harmonic function *of a single pitch* in a chord.  It was intended for labels such as "root", "third", "fifth", etc.  This is why it's available on note but not on chord.

<classSpec ident="att.harmonicfunction" module="MEI.analysis" type="atts">
  <desc>Attributes describing the harmonic function of a single pitch</desc>
  <attList>
    <attDef ident="hfunc" usage="opt">
      <desc>describes harmonic function in any convenient typology.</desc>
      <datatype>
        <rng:data type="NMTOKEN"/>
      </datatype>
    </attDef>
  </attList>
</classSpec>

Chord labels, like "Cm7", or indications of harmonic functionality, like "ii7", belong in <harm>, unless we expand the definition of att.harmonicfunction and, in all likelihood, its datatype.

It seems to me that we need right now is better documentation in the Guidelines, not more changes to the schema.  We can consider this topic again at a later date.

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175