[MEI-L] Drum notation, or...?

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Thu Jan 19 20:04:51 CET 2012

Craig is correct -- the ideal way to get the solfa is to generate it.  BUT, <note> is a member of att.solfa, which provides @psolfa for capturing solfa along with (or instead of) pitch name.

__________________________
Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175
Charlottesville, VA 22904
434-982-2702 (w)
pdr4h (at) virginia (dot) edu
From: mei-l-bounces+pdr4h=virginia.edu at lists.uni-paderborn.de [mei-l-bounces+pdr4h=virginia.edu at lists.uni-paderborn.de] on behalf of Craig Sapp [craigsapp at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:55 PM
To: Music Encoding Initiative
Subject: Re: [MEI-L] Drum notation, or...?

Hi Raffaele,

> I've never come across it before. Ok, it makes sense, but is it just me or
> is that all a semitone up compared to the notation below?

Only because you are thinking (like a southern European) in a fixed-do
system.  The Tonic Sol-Fa method placed "do" on the tonic note, which
in this case is B-flat (or B for Germans :-).

Technically this is a parallel equivalent representation of the
graphical music notation, so it should not necessarily be represented
inside MEI (unless you want to duplicate encoding work), but rather be
generated from the musical data in MEI.  The only piece of
non-graphical information needed should be the tonic note, then the
notation can be derived from the MEI data which also generates the
graphical notation.

-=+Craig