[MEI-L] neumes samples anywhere?

Prof. Dr. Morent stefan.morent at uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Dec 15 19:49:05 CET 2011

Hi Andrew, Thomas,

1. The scribes that notated the music of Hildegard von Bingen in the
scriptorium of her monastery (probably some fellow sisters or monks
from monasteries nearby) were rather advanced and already wrote neumes
on a stave.
Typically this notation uses 4 to 5 lines with c- and f-clef (the
c-line in yellow, the f-line in red ink). The neumes are transferred
to the stave with only slight changes to the shapes of so called
adiastematic neumes which are not written on lines at all (there only
survives a single example of such adiastematic writing of Hildegard's
scriptorium).
So the pitch information for these neumes is more or less perfectly
readable (although there remain many open questions for performance:
e.g. which was the tuning system andd which absolute pitch was meant
with the note "e" f. ex.).

An example of the original notation can be found here:
http://www.dimused.uni-tuebingen.de/hildegard_notation.php

This pitch information is encoded within the MEI-files of "O
splendidissima" or "O vos imitatores".
In fact the MEI neumes viewer uses this pitch information to position
the notes in the transcription within in the browser.

2. What Andrew was describing is in fact the complexity (and only a
part) of adiastematic neumes.
For their additional information we are pereparing to enlarge and to
modify the MEI neumes module, so that it will be able to cover neumes
written on lines and adiastematic neumes.

They only can be made readable as far as pitches are concerned if a
(mostly later) source is found with the same melody written on lines.

In some rare cases also certain patterns of neumes which stand for
modal formulas can be "translated" into pitch information without
having such a parallel source.

Alas, in some cases, such a source was never found - and thus the
music written in neumes will forever hide its exact pitch contour
(this is the case f.ex. for the repetory of "Old Hispanic" chant).

Stefan