[MEI-L] @clef* inside scoredef

TW zupftom at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 9 09:01:14 CET 2011

2011/12/8 Roland, Perry (pdr4h) <pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu>:
> I think you're asking -- Why are the clef* attributes allowed on
> <scoreDef> but the <clef> element isn't allowed as a child of <scoreDef>?
> Is that right?

Right.

> I've been waiting for someone else to notice this before I brought it up
> myself :) because I anticipated that the next request would be for <clef>
> and <meter> elements and so on until all the attributes on <scoreDef> were
> duplicated by element children.  I was hoping to limit these requests to
> those that couldn't be fulfilled by an attribute -- in other words, where
> more than one value might be needed or where more detailed data was needed,
> such as explicit placement information on the accidentals in a key
> signature.
>

> But, the tech group could/should discuss adding <clef> (and perhaps
> <clefGrp>) as well -- these are members of model.staffDefPart. Next, maybe
> <meter>.  These can all be proposed for the next, next MEI revision
> (2013?).  But, we must be careful because if the list of new elements for
> <scoreDef> goes much beyond these, then it will have ripple effects
> throughout the schema that will require much more discussion / work.

Maybe less is more?  Couldn't the clef attributes be removed from
<scoreDef>?  I might be missing the reason why they were allowed there
in the first place.  A clef doesn't make sense without a staff, and
where there's a staff, there is a <staffDef> where the clef attributes
and elements can go.  What do clef attributes inside the <scoreDef> of
a multi-staff score mean anyway?

Thomas